Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default painting Birch plywood

rolsonDesign wrote:
I have some Birch plywood pieces that are going to be painted. I want
a professional finished surface, something you would see in a
furniture store perhaps.

Do I prime first, and then paint?

Do I sand between coats, and if so, what's the process and what grit do
I use?

Sand 220
Prime
Sand 220
If necessary (sanded through primer) prime and sand again
Paint
Sand 220
Paint again

I did this on a Poplar project with an automotive sprayer and the paint
was silky smooth without thining. Overspray is a _big_ problem with
these sprayers.

You can also get a smooth finish with a high quality roller purchased
at a paint store (if they have more than one cash register you're in
the wrong store).

Don't cheap out on the paint either, I have been able to get a very
smooth finish using a brush and Muralo paint purchased at a Benjamin
Moore store. I'm sure Sherwin Williams or Pittsburgh also have a high
end paint that will give you a nice finish.

One last thing that I have heard but never tried is mixing BLO with an
oil-based paint to get a smooth finish.

Best bet is use the roller and do a lot of sanding.