Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
tomh tomh is offline

Default Residential service entrance power drop repair?

GregS wrote:
In article .net, wrote:
The weatherhead was yanked off the service entrance conduit extending from
the roof by a fallen branch. The ground / neutral conductor of the power drop
broke a few strands, and the strain relief / insulator for the ground /
neutral cable is broken.

I'm going to do this myself. I called the power company to ask about how the
disconnect/reconnect happens during the repair. The guy tried to answer my
question but ultimately didn't.

I would want to search more. Normally here, the electrician connects
up the main wires, live, I guess, or at least thats how the guy installed
a new service at my old home. Disconnectiong the meter does
nothing for the stuff in front of the meter. If you dn't do this for a living, I would stay away.
By the way, a new service cost me about $1000.

greg

I put in a new service entrance this past summer. The town/inspector
let me pull the permit to do the panel but I had to get an electrician
to do the outside work. He did the new meter box, weather head, and
entrance cable. He also did the cut over. He did it live, one conductor
at a time.
The power company was notified but didn't do an inspection or anything
else. In fact the seal on the meter where we swapped it from old box to
new is still cut. Here in MA they're fairly lame.
So yes the cut over is done live. But who does what when is a very
local situation between the town/inspector, power company and home
owner. I'd start with your local inspector but if you're in the trades
you should know that.