Posted to rec.woodworking
David David is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

Sorry -- I didn't mean to start a battle of numbers. I am one of only a
couple hand surgeons in a community west of Cleveland. My practice is
limited to hands and wrists, and my affiliation with the Cleveland
Clinic draws a lot of referrals. I also keep a part of my day open for
emergency patients, increasing my availability for these problems, and
probably the number I see relative to a hand surgeon who tries to see
only elective patients. Most of the injuries are "warning shots" -
requiring little more than dressing changes, motion exercises, wound
care, and a few sutures. Most are able to bring themselves, or find a
ride to the ER or office, rather than requiring the services of a rescue
squad. Just about everything surgical below the wrist is managed as an
outpatient now (with fingertip and nail injuries repaired in the
office), except for procedures requiring a microvascular repair.

As a woodworker, I always find time to ask how it happened. I've
actually learned quite a bit from other's "experience". Often it opens
them up to share some stories. At follow-up visits, some have brought
in pictures of their projects, and a few brought in some smaller works.
I've been astounded by some of the craftsmanship, and find it a
rewarding part of my practice. I might have even convinced a couple of
them to use guards, pushsticks, splitters, outfeed support, etc. Or not.
.. .G

David

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Bruce Barnett wrote:

I don't really want to question him since he's agreeing with my
position but his numbers are a bit odd.

He did say he was a hand surgeon.

Yeah, but his patients would become my patients if they become admitted to the
hospital. I work with orthopedic surgeons every day at work; that's the area I
work in. We're an orthopedic/neurosurgery/med-surg floor.

I used to work on a combination orthopedic joint/urology unit at a large
teaching hospital. I called it : "bones 'n boners".