Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson Dave Jackson is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

(snip) If anything, you're making a good argument *for* using the blade
guard!

I'm not trying to argue anything here. Just because YOU use one doesn't
mean everyone else should. Have you ever run yours without a guard? And if
so, why are you using one now.

(snip) If you have not already learned to pay close attention, you shouldn't
be
operating the tool *with* a guard, let alone without one.

On the flip side, if you *truly* have learned to pay close attention to the
task at hand why would you need a guard? Guards surely prevent accidents,
but accidents in the shop generally don't happen to someone who is aware of
, and more importantly knowledgeable, about what they are doing.

I suppose you'd have a big crisis if I mentioned I am also perfectly
comfortable cutting something freehand on a table saw as well! --dave

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article .net, "Dave
Jackson" wrote:
A little backround....I'm a carpenter for a living and can say that the
chances of finding a blade guard on any jobsite table saw (mine included)
is
slim to none.

So?

I've worked construction before, and I've seen plenty of construction
sites.
And I can say that the chance of finding eye or ear protection on any of
the
people working there is slim to none.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If anything, you're making a good argument *for* using the blade guard!

There are many of us who feel more comfortable seeing the
blade and watching the cut rather than having it obscured.

The question remains unanswered: why do you "feel more comfortable" when
you
can see the blade? It isn't going anywhere...

Without the
blade guard you learn to pay very close attention to the task at hand,

--
Regards,