Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default herringbone straps instead of noggins

Chris Styles wrote:
Chris Styles wrote:
I'm about to put floor joists in my loft so I can board it for storage.
These herringbone straps look like a pretty convenient way of avoiding
timber noggins.

Question is, how many should I use on a 4.2m span?

One either end and one in the middle? One every 900mm ?

Any sugegstions welcome.

Cheers
Chris

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...chText=herring

These really do stiffen up a floor/ceiling..better than noggins IMHO.

cut lots on a circular or handsaw and whack em in everywhere. The more the
better.

The great advantage is they can be a little bit inaccurate unlike noggins,
which really need to be mm perfect to work.

I thought they'd be fitted by nailing the flat ends to the tops of adjacent
joists so that the strap is 90 degrees to the direction of the joist, i.e.
to replace a noggin... in which case why the circular/hand saw?

Have I totally missed how these are fitted?

Cheers,
Chris

from top of one joist to bottom of next, likewise bootom of same joist
to top, makes an X between joists, makes em stiff as F*&K