Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default herringbone straps instead of noggins

Christian McArdle wrote:
I'm less clear on which is superior, herringbone struts or noggins, and
why - in these days of mitre saws, cutting solid noggins to an exact
fit is no hassle.

Herringbone is superior in every respect:

1. Lighter (less dead load)
2. Cheaper (less wood)
3. Easier to install (less cutting, less precision required)
4. Easier to run cables/pipework.
5. Less susceptible to expansion/contraction.

The herringboning is to stop the joists twisting, as long spans will
tend to do so. Noggings are generally applied to stiffen floors and
support overlapping boards. They are used in walls to support
radiators/shelves etc and if filling the full width of the stud have
the same effect as herringboned strut or strapping.

Since the studwork in walls is generally the same material as the
noggings, they also stop the studs moving sideways. I can't for the
life of me understand how steel studding manages to stay up without
it's equivalent.