Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating question

In article ,
Edward W. Thompson writes:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:25:06 +0100, Matt
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:38:05 +0100, wrote:

The original Q was about electrical generation. the UK's Thermal generation I
would imagine is no more than 30% efficient.

Slightly above mid 30's would be the worst thermal generation in the
UK, typical of 60's and 70's built coal and oil fired generation. Top
end for these is about 38%.

High 40's to mid's 50's is typical of 1990's gas fired generation.
Very recent gas fired generation is even higher, 60% for instance in
the case of Baglan Bay.

You are not comparing like to like re Baglan Bay. This is a CGT
system of limited capacity (500MW) I believe whereas the large steam
turbine stations are 3000MW plus with efficiencies, as you say, in the
upper 30s. I stick my neck out and say that steam turbine stations do
not exceed 40% efficiency (latent heat and all that jazz!).

You are correct. A number of the 1990's gas power stations actually
struggled hitting even 35%. Gas was dirt cheap and the owners were
after a fast return. Spending money on energy efficiency just wasn't
on the agenda.

--
Andrew Gabriel