Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

Mike Marlow wrote:
With all due respect to your profession, skill and experience David, I find
the above statement to be beyond belief. Saw guards are far from fool proof
and if you truly have seen that many table saw injuries, I find it very hard
to believe you've never seen a hand injury on a saw with a guard.

Likewise, I was a paramedic for 12 years in a rural area. In all of that
time I never took in a single patient from a table saw accident, though
there are plenty of table saws in garages and basements around here. For
you to attend 1-2 per week for 15 years, your experience is at the very
least, contrary to my own. Must be these people drive themselves in for
treatment?

In nearly 15 years as an orthopedic nurse in a hospital setting, I can only
recall taking care of 3-4 table saw accidents myself. I saw what he wrote and
wondered but I didn't really think about it. Now you make me think about it.

Are all these guys outpatients?

I don't really want to question him since he's agreeing with my position but his
numbers are a bit odd. His conclusions, however, are right on. Obviously the
man is a genius. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com