Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett Bruce Barnett is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

(Doug Miller) writes:

[Curious here, not argumentative] Why? How can you be more
comfortable without the guard than with it?

I didn't make the post, but I can see the point.

I'm a hobbyist. When I use the saw I
1) Take my time and don't rush
2) Use fingerboards/sleds/etcs so my hands never get within a
foot of the blade
3) Keep my eye on the blade, especially when it's spinning.

I tend to turn off the saw when I'm done with a cut. Not very
efficient, but I feel comfortable with this.

But while that blade is spinning, I'm watching it.

If it had a guard, I might take my eyes off it, and forget about the
blade. So the guard might make me more comfortable, and less cautious.