Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Router lift vs. router with built-in "above the table" height adjustment

"the_tool_man" wrote in message
ups.com...

Snip

Here's what I want:
1: Height adjustment from above the table without significant backlash
or horizontal spindle movement.

I once that above the table adjustment was important. "Kinda need" but not
necesssary. I use the built in knob below the table. I have to get down
there any way to adjust the speed and or unlock the height adjustment lever
anyway.

2: Height adjustment that doesn't collect dust - either covered to
prevent entry or with a hole in the bottom to let dust out.

Again if you simply reach under for height adjustment you do not have the
problems associated with above the table adjustments.

3: Spindle lock that does not require extending spindle all the way up
to actuate, but has a separate mechanism that can be activated at any
time. An alternative would be a two-wrench collet.

Good luck finding one. Extending the spindle all the way up keeps you from
having to work the wrench in a confined space.

4: Robust lift mechanism that will last more than a year - prefereably
with no plastic parts to wear out.

Mine is relatively new it has been hanging under the router table for about
3 years. It replaced an old Bosch that had been hanging for 15 years.

I would appreciate your recommendations.

I use the UGLY looking Triton. It is built to hang under the table. It had
a coarse and fine tune height adjustment knob. The coarse is great for
raising the bit above the table for quick bit changes. The fine tune does
alloe a bit of wiggle during adjustment but after tightening the clamp lever
everything is rock solid. All adjustments on the bigger one are below the
table. Spindle lock is automatic when the bit is raised all the way through
the table.
Additionally, theis router can be used as a fixed base or plunge router with
out changing bases.
Normally fo rhand held use I prefer 2 wrenches to loosen and tighten the
collet. For use on a router table I prefer a single wrench with spindle
lock.