Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Router lift vs. router with built-in "above the table" height adjustment

the_tool_man wrote:
Hi all:

When I built my router table last year, I decided to buy a router with
built-in above-the-table height adjustment (Freud FT1700).

I think the first thing I'd do is contact Freud about your router. If
it's only a year old, there is no reason why any/all of those things
should have gone wrong with it. You should be able to get them to
repair/replace your router at no charge.

FWIW, tools that have been "remanufactured" or "reconditioned" from the
manufacturer are usually pretty good. I think that when they rebuild a
tool, it gets a much higher level of attention and ends up being a
really solid tool.

As for deciding between a router lift and a router with built in
adjustment, it sounds like you use the height adjustment feature a good
bit. A dedicated router lift is likely to have better components and
should work better - that's what it is designed to do. Built in height
adjustment is more likely to be a gimmicky feature that will not stand
up to daily use - as you have already discovered.

Mike