Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default sill plate bolt

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:26:21 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I've seen this in a few houses, my own included, where the anchor bolt for
the sill plate is not inserted into the framing but rather inserted into a
cutout and pounded flat into the wood. Can this be corrected, as in the
bolt straightened and properly tied to the sill plate? I've found about 4
of these bolts and all of them are done in the same way, a large cutout in
put in the sill plate the bolt is then pounded over until it is mashed into
the plate. I guess that's secure, somewhat, but probably not what the
designers had in mind. In fact doing that was probably harder than putting
a nut on the bolt and fastening it down - which makes me wonder why that's
done in the first place.

Because the builder was an idiot or too cheap to do the job right.

None of the framing in my basement is tied to the foundation, in fact the
framing sits about 1/2 off the surface of the foundation so I'm looking at
ways to correct this before I close the wall up with new drywall.

Anchor bolt brackets to the foundation and attach to the wood.

BTW: Why is drywall so expensive? 16 bucks a sheet for 5/8".

Cuz our (F~#&!^%) president is sending all our resources to Iraq.
Same reason steel and copper are outrageous these days.