Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default getting rid of rats

wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:24:30 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
On 22 Oct 2006 13:54:08 -0700, "Mr_Bill" wrote:

I recently have done battle with
rats in my garage. Since usenet
was a big help to me, I thought I'd
summarize what worked for me and
what didn't. I hope this info helps
someone in the future.

My sister is infested like you would not believe. She resisted
putting out poison because she has house dogs. I think the mice are
interested in the dog's food.

Anyway, the dogs she has are small. She had one of the dogs eat one
of the mice. The vet has told her that the dogs would have to eat
more than one to be in any danger. She was not going to take a chance
on poison one of her pets.

She plans to put down sticky strips next.

I was most interested by your ace in the hole. Antifreeze. I would
be interested if anyone has knowledge if Antifreeze would pose the
same danger to house animals as poison does.

She put the poison in places like closets and under kitchen sink so
she could be sure that the dogs could not directly get the poison.

Don't put anti-freeze out, it will kill your animals.

Yes, antifreeze is deadly for ALL animals and for humans.
BUT, I'd consider it before poison because mice and rats can carry
poison pellets or chunks of rodent blocks where other animals can get
to it, even if you hide the pellets or blocks. I see no way they
could carry anifreeze, and antifreeze kills them fast, whereas poison
takes days to work.

Interesting fact. Warfarin (rat + mouse poison) is also given to
humans as a high blood pressure medication. Yeah, that shocked me
too.

It is not a high pressure medication as far as I know. It is a "blood
thinner" - it helps avoid blood clots. I believe it does the same for rats -
they just bleed to death internally at high doses.

Bob