Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Timer Switch?

Buster Chops wrote:
I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them, and
any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I assume
a DIY changeout.

It's not clear whay you mean by switch panel. If you're talking about
a three gang outlet box that accepts three separate full size
receptacles/switches, then yes, you can replace one of the switches
with a timer. If you're talking about a single gang outlet box
(typical size for a single switch - cover plate about 2.5" x 4.5"),
then no - they don't make those in regular wall switches. You could
use X10 automation to do it, but that's going to be a lot more
expensive as you're not just replacing a single switch.

If you are able to track down a half height or third height timer
please let me know! There are plenty of times I could have used one.