Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Timer Switch?

I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them, and
any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I assume
a DIY changeout.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have replaced a switch with a timer for my bathroom vent fan. These
timers are sold at most electrical supply houses. Home Depot or Lowes
might have them. They are easy to install (as long as you turn off the
circuit breaker first).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buster Chops wrote:
I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them, and
any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I assume
a DIY changeout.

It's not clear whay you mean by switch panel. If you're talking about
a three gang outlet box that accepts three separate full size
receptacles/switches, then yes, you can replace one of the switches
with a timer. If you're talking about a single gang outlet box
(typical size for a single switch - cover plate about 2.5" x 4.5"),
then no - they don't make those in regular wall switches. You could
use X10 automation to do it, but that's going to be a lot more
expensive as you're not just replacing a single switch.

If you are able to track down a half height or third height timer
please let me know! There are plenty of times I could have used one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buster Chops wrote:
I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them, and
any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I assume
a DIY changeout.

Thanks in advance.

If you cannot find them locally

Mcmaster.com page 847

OR

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Sea...20&Ntk=Primary

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You can use mechanical spring wound timers or Levitan mfg. makes some push
button models, where you push one of four buttons for a predetermined length
of time

"Buster Chops" wrote in message
I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them,
and any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I
assume a DIY changeout.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buster Chops wrote:

I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them, and
any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I assume
a DIY changeout.

Thanks in advance.

Intermatic makes them, fits normal light switch receptacle. We looked
at Lowes and HD; Lowes had a shelf for them, but none in stock. Found
one at a local, independent hardware store. Ours has 60 min. limit,
rotating dial. They have much more elaborate timers:

http://intermatic.com/Default.asp?ac...2&cid=43&did=3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:17:36 GMT, "Buster Chops"
wrote:

I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them, and
any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I assume
a DIY changeout.

Thanks in advance.

I bought two of these (GE brand, 30 minutes) from Big Lots for about
$5 each. You can get various max-time settings. They make a soft
ticking sound. I use mine for bathroom vent fans after taking a
shower. I'm sure Lowes or BORG has them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought two of these (GE brand, 30 minutes) from Big Lots for about
$5 each. You can get various max-time settings. They make a soft
ticking sound. I use mine for bathroom vent fans after taking a
shower. I'm sure Lowes or BORG has them.

In my experience, the eletronic countdown timers are much more
reliable and pleasant to use when compared with the mechanical timers.
They are 100% silent, give you a choice of one touch time settings,
and usually have a warning LED that flashes before they turn off.

Inevitably, the spring mechanism on the mechanicals gets twisted too
far and the timer locks up in either on the on or off position. I've
seen it happen more than once.

Be aware that there are the countdown timers, as described above for
bathroom fans, heat lamps, commercial hot tubs, and anywhere you don't
want something left on for an extended period of time.

There are also time switches that switch things on and off at the same
time every day, (or at random times, or in step with astronomic
sunrise and sunset). Check out the Leviton brand for these.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buster Chops" wrote in message
I have a three switch panel to control three separate lights. I would

like
to have one of the switches replaced with a 'timer' switch to allow me to
turn on outside lights and keep them on for a set time. I have not been
able to find a switch like this in my local store ... do they make them,

and
any suggestions on namebrands or stores where I can get one? And I

assume
a DIY changeout.

Just about any hardware or plumbing/electric store should have a number
of choices available. Typically, the standard twist mechanical timer, and
several electronic versions.

Bob