Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Default Heating question

Tom wrote:
I have converted part of a detached garage into a office. The floor,
ceiling and all the walls are well insulated and now I've come to the
problem of choosing a heating source. Due the buildings location a rad
from the CH in house is not possible and i don't want one of those
portable gas bottle fires so i guess my only option is an electric
heater. Has anyone tried one of those oil filled electric radiators?
Are they expensive to run and is 2K powerful enough for a room 3m x 4.5m?
Is there anything else on the market that is suitable?

Oil filled rads, cheap convection or electric fan are all suitable.

A lot depends on the way you intend to use it, but I personally like wall
mounted fans up high that push hot air downwards. Like hot air 'curtains'
in shops. these at least suck the hot air from up high and blow it to the
floor where your tootsies are. Blowers also seem to get the place more
evenly heated quicker

2-3KW is totally adequate if the insulation is good. On really icy days,
plug in a 10 quid convector as well if necessary

Thanks for your help guys, i saw a 2.5kw oil rad in b&q earlier today for
£45!! Think I'll buy this and see how i get on.

Tom