Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating question

Tom wrote:
I have converted part of a detached garage into a office. The floor,
ceiling and all the walls are well insulated and now I've come to the
problem of choosing a heating source. Due the buildings location a rad from
the CH in house is not possible and i don't want one of those portable gas
bottle fires so i guess my only option is an electric heater. Has anyone
tried one of those oil filled electric radiators? Are they expensive to run
and is 2K powerful enough for a room 3m x 4.5m? Is there anything else on
the market that is suitable?

Oil filled rads, cheap convection or electric fan are all suitable.

A lot depends on the way you intend to use it, but I personally like
wall mounted fans up high that push hot air downwards. Like hot air
'curtains' in shops. these at least suck the hot air from up high and
blow it to the floor where your tootsies are. Blowers also seem to get
the place more evenly heated quicker

2-3KW is totally adequate if the insulation is good. On really icy days,
plug in a 10 quid convector as well if necessary