Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Andy is offline

Default Heating question

"Tom" wrote in message
I have converted part of a detached garage into a office. The floor,
ceiling and all the walls are well insulated and now I've come to the
problem of choosing a heating source. Due the buildings location a rad
from the CH in house is not possible and i don't want one of those portable
gas bottle fires so i guess my only option is an electric heater. Has
anyone tried one of those oil filled electric radiators? Are they
expensive to run and is 2K powerful enough for a room 3m x 4.5m? Is there
anything else on the market that is suitable?

Thanks,

Tom

I have a portable Dimplex oil-filed electric radiator - its just like any
other radiator when up to temperature. I have it for emergencies i.e. if the
combi packs up, or if someone needs the spare room, which was never fitted
with a wet radiator. It has its own thermostat so you can set the output.

Electricity is several times the cost of gas. Even though it is 100%
efficient at being turned into heat in an heating appliance, gas is still up
to 90% efficient with a condensing boiler so that doesn't equalise the
difference. Unless you go for thermal storage on economy 7 then you will be
paying out several times ( three or four IIRC - I stand to be corrected )
for electricity what you do for gas.

Your other option is an electric halogen radiant heater or an electric fan
heater.
A fan heater might have an advantage over a radiator in that it is up to
speed in seconds and if situated right next to where you are sitting can get
you warm in minutes. Ditto with a halogen heater, though that'll probably
get you warm on one side only, unlees you get two!

You'll have to make your own mind up.

Andy.