Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default cabinet doors - biscuits vs tenon

B A R R Y wrote:

On 20 Oct 2006 14:23:17 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I'd challenge anyone to break a cabinet door built with biscuits,
while it is hanging on hinges. Unless you use a really heavy piano
hinge with long screws, my money is on the hinges giving out first.

This brings up an interesting point.

You are looking at it from the point of view where one (or maybe
several) blow(s) will destroy the door. From that point of view, I
agree with you.

However... G

I've seen lots of cabinet doors fail slowly, as years of slamming
shut, spills on lower cabinets, etc... takes a toll on the glue. The
only joints I've ever had come apart were biscuited.

Interesting. Sounds almost like "fatiguing" the joint with lots of
little stresses that have a cumulative effect. I don't have the
engineering knowledge to agree or disagree, but that sounds
plausible..