Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] a@z.com is offline

Default Crossed wires?!?!

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:03:03 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Snipped to

I II
I II
I II
I II
L______II_____________
II I
II I
II I
II I
II I
______________________
I I
I CU I
----------------------------------

That's what I mean by cables crossing

I see. Assuming that the cables are all visible, I am not aware of
any issue provided that a neat job is made and they are properly
supported.

I have junction boxes, connector blocks and those chocbox thingys
ready if I need to use them.

Apparently I'm going to build a nice little cupboard to house the
electrics.

If it's all going into a cupboard the lack of neatness of using
junction boxes shouldn't be a big issue.

If you use chocolate block connectors, they need to go inside some kind
of enclosure and be adequately rated. The other issue with any of
these methods is to make sure that the wires, after being extended, end
up on the correct MCBs. Having connections for ring final circuits
ending up on more than one because they get mixed up is definitely to
be avoided. It would be a very good idea to get a multimeter and to
at least do continuity tests on ring circuits to make sure that that
hasn't happened.

If I go crimped (I'm sure there's a joke there?!) what tools do I
need? And what is acceptable insulation. Tape?

You need to have a proper crimping tool with ratchet mechanism and the
correct type of crimps. Tape is not a suitable insulating material.
Something like heatshrink sleeve or in this case having all of the
crimps in an enclosure would be ways to do it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ols/index.html

(the

butt connectors).

Also, I learned that if we put in a second electric shower I need some
sort of switch so two can't be on at the same time. Any ideas on what
they are called.

Do you not have any other means of doing a shower? Electric showers
aren't that great.

I haven't come across change over switches for the application you
describe. A better way would be to get the supply upgraded if you
only have an electric shower as an option.

Thanks for all that, Andy.

I have a multi meter and checked the ring ciruits.

I'm in Ireland but have used TLC before, less expensive even adding
shipping than buying here. And sometimes quicker than getting to a
store. Go figure!

I have cable clips, and little plastic boxes which the connectors go
into (marked on the little plastic box "CHOC BOX"). Rating on them is
another thing. Tiny writing, I have to use a magnifying glass to read
them!

Having been in America this Summer, the Showers there have us spoilt.
I'm not sure what we gonna do.

How do the get the wiring so neat in all those pictures on websites
like Hager, ABB, Wylex etc!!!

Francis