Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Crossed wires?!?!

On 2006-10-21 11:39:16 +0100, said:

Hi all,

We got a new front door which is about a yard further forward than the
old one.

On the basis of the story that I heard about the Japanese leaving
their Dyson's out in the living room as an art work, I tried the same
line with leaving the consumer unit where it is now.
Didn't work. I'm not allowed out till I move it. (Nephew: "What did
you do now?)

Challenge/problem?

Moving it to new location, down and over means down stairs cables too
long, upstairs too short.

Too long, no probs: Snip, snip and Bob's your aunty.

Upstairs ones, I'll have to cross cables over each other in order to
reconnect to consumer unit.

Is this regulation, allowed, frowned on, or what?

Francis

Why do you need to cross the cables over?

Are the cables for upstairs long enough or will you need to join them?
If so, then doing so with crimped joints unless you want to have a lot
of junction boxes on show would be a good way. Those would need to be
additionally insulated if outside the consumer unit.

Otherwise if the cables are long enough except for entering the
consumer unit at the wrong end (if that's what you meant), then it may
be possible with some consumer units to swap around all the MCBs and
incoming main switch to effectively a mirror of what you have now.

I guess it doesn't need to be said that if this is contemplated, the
main fuses at the meter should be pulled.