David Knaack

Default Hobby shops with micro lathe and mill equipment?

Gary Coffman wrote in message . ..
On 15 Jan 2004 13:14:54 -0800, (David Knaack) wrote:
I've been thinking about buying a micro lathe for some projects, but
it is a fairly large buy for something that I don't need all that
often. I'd like to find a hobby shop or somewhere that I can go learn
to use these micor lathes and mills so I can get a feel for how often
I'd use it, and what I really need.

The micro-lathes are very good for very small parts. That's because
small diameters need to turn fast, and most larger lathes can't turn
as fast as these little guys.

That explains why I've been seeing comments that the large lathes are
not as good for small parts.

Figure about the largest thing you'd use
one for would be about 1 inch diameter and about 6 inches long

I can't think of anything I'd use it for that would be that large.
Thats nearly an order of magnitude larger than what I'm after

Thanks to you and all who have responded.
I think the Taig-sized stuff is about what I'm looking for. I just
hope I can find enough projects to justify the expense

DK