Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default house wired without separate ground - problem?

hair dryers and curling irons are energy piggies.

Yeah. Most just use an ungrounded (2 prong) plug and some have a GFCI
built into the plug assembly.

refrigerator 20 amp all by itself. you dont want something tripping
fridge circuit NO GFCI!

I have run refrigerators on a GFCI circuit because the outlet was on a
counter and I wanted all counter outlets protected. An old fridge tripped
out once a year or so (I think during defrost some water got onto the quartz
heater wiring) but when we replaced it with a new model (10 years ago) it
didn't trip. For my money, a modern fridge would not trip a GFCI unless
there is something WRONG!

I had a dishwasher on a GFCI but when the door seal leaked the water got the
heater terminals wet. Again, it was reasonable to cut the circuit when
water was getting into the wires.

kitchen at least one but preferably 2 20 amp receptable circuits GFCI!
gas stove must be GFCI protected.

Yes but the main reason is the "convenience" outlet.

furnace its own 15 or 20 amp circuit. dont want a nuisance trip
freezing home...

Why would it trip?

washer and dryer together on their own circuit

I have a clothes washer on a GFCI circuit (it's a duplex outlet and
something else may be plugged into it.) I know that the washer is supposed
to be on it's own circuit but ...

Now that you got me going, I wonder whether the over the oven microwave
would trip a GFCI. I don't think it would.

this is a starting place for electrical upgrades..........

I prefer but dont have each rooms receptables on their own breaker.

Our last two places had one circuit PER ROOM. Any trip kills everything
(including lights) in the entire room.

aone or two circuits for just lights is ideal, minimizes trips by
overloads

Frankly, we just don't trip the CBs very often. Before I put in the over
the oven microwave, we had a coffee maker, toaster, popcorn popper, and
microwave on one table. We had to remember to turn off the coffee maker if
we were using the toaster and the microwave at the same time. I think the
coffee maker and the toaster will still trip a CB every few months.