Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.electrical.compliance
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default house wired without separate ground - problem?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Nate Nagel wrote:

but the receptacles installed on the first and second floor are
grounding type and it appears that the ground is provided by a jumper at
each receptacle between the ground terminal and the neutral. I realize
that *theoretically* this is functionally identical,

No, it isn't, not even theoretically. This makes it possible for the chassis
of any piece of equipment plugged into the outlet to become electrically live,
and it's not at all safe.

It is functionally identical, so long as the neutral isn't broken. They
connect to the same terminal strip at the breaker box, after all. If
the neutral is broken, of course, all bets are off, and this is why I
brought it up in the first place.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.