Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default cabinet doors - biscuits vs tenon

"RayV" wrote:

Andrew Barss wrote:
TimR wrote:
: I am thinking of making my own kitchen flat panel doors...and refacing the
: cases. I have a good biscuit joiner and would like input on whether the
: biscuit techniques is strong enough for kitchen cabinet doors...or should I
: go with the traditional mortise and tenon assembly ?

I wouldn't hesitate to use biscuits. They're plenty strong
enough for this application.

-- Andy Barss

Latest issue of Wood magazine rates biscuits as _barely_ stronger than
butt joints in all directions. Dowels were second in strength to M&T.

http://store.woodstore.net/november173.html

That's surprising. In fact, I don't believe it. I guess I will have to
buy the mag to read about their testing. VERY hard for me to believe
that the long-grain to long-grain gluing, even over the small area of
a biscuit, is not a big improvement over end-grain to long-grain
gluing of a plain butt joint. Maybe the problem is my impression of
the weakness of end-grain gluing. I've always accepted that as an
article of faith, but never tested it.