Artemia Salina

Default Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:40:13 -0800, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Pedroman" wrote in message
I need to coat steel parts (small) with a black oxide coating but in small
lots. Parts are 3 1/2" X .75" and are basicly steel stock with drilled

holes
for alignment pins. Anyone have a small shop style setup that could share
info on the process. I'm currently having someone else do it but at $50
minimum I have to build a lot more than I use in a couple of months to

make
it worthwhile. Sometimes I go through 100 in a month and sometimes 500 it
just depends. Stocking 1000s of this item is not really worth it unless
that's the only route I can find.

A friend commented that a used commercial french frier would be about the
size I would need and it certainly can generate the heat required. I've
checked around and those things are cheap to find.

Anyone?
Pedroman

Found you a link.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/index_a.html

Harold

A much less expensive alternative would be Caswell's cold black oxiding kit.
They claim that their 1.25 gallon kit will do 600 to 1200 sq. ft. of surface.
Pedroman says he has a max of 3.5 * .75 * 500 / 12 = 110 sq. ft. per month,
so the 1.25 gallon kit would give him a 5 month supply, minimum. The cost is
$35 for the kit.

The down side is that I've read that the cold black oxide method isn't as good
(reliable, consistent, durable) as the hot method. Not having tried it myself I
don't know.

The link is: http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar