Posted to rec.woodworking
R. Pierce Butler R. Pierce Butler is offline

Default 4800 watt construction heater wiring

Troy wrote in :

uh? just the red & black? Where's the nuetral connected? You gotta
have a return circuit.
if you've got 10/3 then you've to red, black, white, ground right?
Am I missing something here or just don't know what I'm talking about.

Troy

Troy,

There are two 110 volt circuits in most CB boxes. Each is independent. They
also happen to be 180 degrees out of phase with one another. The upshot is
that while each is 120 volt with respect to ground, they are 220 volts with
respect to each other. The neutral is there for a variety of reasons but not
necessary for operation at 220vac. Ever wonder how your electric clothes
dryer works? The main coils are wired for 220 but the light bulb and other
parts like the timer use one side and the neutral.