Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default 4800 watt construction heater wiring

Troy writes:
ok, I know electronics, but am NOT an electrician. But I don't quite
get why we don't need a nuetral? Where's the return path?

Voltage is a potential difference. The difference between the two
current carrying conductors measures 240v. The difference between
a current carrying conductor and the grounded (aka neutral) conductor
is 120v. This being AC, rather than DC, the concept of a "return path"
doesn't really apply, per se. Note that the grounded conductor is
derived from a center-tap on the distribution transformer.

scott