Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default 4800 watt construction heater wiring

wrote in message
oups.com...
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm currently trying to add
an oulet for 4800 watt construction heater in my shop. I've run 10/3
wire to the outlet, added a 2-pole 30amp breaker to the sub-panel, and
installed a 6-30 plug by connecting the black and red wires to the
blades on the plug, and the bare wire ground to the box 1st and then to
the ground on the outlet. The white wire is capped off and not being
used. When I plug in the heater it will not turn on. Breaker does not
trip.

I get 120v on each side of the plug with my voltmeter. I even was able
to test the voltage in the heater and there is 120v going to each input
inside the heater. I replaced the heater with a brand new one, and
also replace the outlet and get the same results.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Did you install a thermostat?

--

-Mike-