Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default SDS vs SDS Plus

Chris Styles wrote:

I'd like to get an SDS because I'll be doing a lot of chasing into walls,
and it seem like just the ticket, and it also seems that SDS is also more up
to the job of lots of masonry drilling.

Good plan.

Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions about buying using SDS drills?

Buy a DeWalt, Blue Bosch, or Makita. Get one with roto stop.

Screwfix have a number of offers including a Bosch "GBH-2-24 DSR" 2kg SDS.
Oddly it weighs 2.4kg, so should I assume that the "2kg" relates to
something other than the weight of the drill itself?

It just refers to the approximate weight of the machine. They come in
2kg, 4kg, 6kg etc. 2kg are the most flexible.

Lastly, what are the major differenences between SDS and SDS Plus, is one
better than the other, and is there anything I should consider when choosing
between them? The £99 Bosch jobbie from Screwfix is SDS plus, and is
currently ahead in the polls!

SDS is a superset which contains SDS Plus and SDS Max. SDS Plus is what
all the machines you are considering use, every one of them. SDS Max is
a much larger fitting, around 20mm diameter.

--
Grunff