Paul K. Dickman

Default Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale

I do my own hot black oxide. It is such a pain in the butt, that I save up
my projects and once a year do them all.

I use 2 parts lye, 1 part sodium nitrate and 2 parts water by Vol.

It gets heated to around 300f.

I use two turkey friers. One with just a lye solution on the boil and one
with the bluing salts.

Pieces are first rinsed in paint thinner and dried. Then they are boiled in
the lye for about 5-10 min and then into the salts for 5-10 min . Then they
are rinsed in a bucket of water and dipped in a bucket of oil.

It's a royal pain, but it is one tough finish.

Paul K. Dickman
jim rozen wrote in message ...
In article , Peter H. says...

Kit ...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=40&I1.y=38

... and all its components are no longer aailable.

The oxpho black cold bluing compound is available from
brownells. Applied properly it winds up coal black
and reasonably durable.

It's not as durable as a hot process, but it's very
easy to do.

Jim

please reply to: