Posted to misc.consumers.house
Thomas Cormen Thomas Cormen is offline

Default Cleaning burnt foil from oven

"Don Phillipson" writes:

Where the grease hit the foil, it burned and the foil stuck to the
bottom of the oven. I removed what I could of the foil, but there are
several patches of stuck, burned-on foil. We tried running a
self-clean cycle, but that did not burn off the stuck foil.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the burned-on foil without
damaging the enamel surface on the bottom of the oven?

The self-clean cycle of a self-cleaning oven is hotter than any
cooking routine: so you may have brazed the foil permanently to the
enamel. There was a reason why your oven's instructions recommended
against the use of alum. foil as a liner on the enameled metal.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct. I don't know whether our
oven's instructions included such a recommendation, but by the time I
saw what was going on, it was too late to do anything about it.

I would have thought that the self-cleaning cycle would get hot enough
to burn off the aluminum. I've seen aluminum burn on my charcoal
grill. I suppose that the self-clean cycle just doesn't get as hot as
a charcoal grill.

Thanks for the response, Don.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Chair, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory