Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Cleaning burnt foil from oven

My wife made some popovers this morning. In the past, she had trouble
with the popovers leaving pools of grease on the bottom of the oven,
so she decided to cover the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil.
Where the grease hit the foil, it burned and the foil stuck to the
bottom of the oven. I removed what I could of the foil, but there are
several patches of stuck, burned-on foil. We tried running a
self-clean cycle, but that did not burn off the stuck foil.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the burned-on foil without
damaging the enamel surface on the bottom of the oven?

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Chair, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Thomas Cormen" wrote in message
.. .

Where the grease hit the foil, it burned and the foil stuck to the
bottom of the oven. I removed what I could of the foil, but there are
several patches of stuck, burned-on foil. We tried running a
self-clean cycle, but that did not burn off the stuck foil.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the burned-on foil without
damaging the enamel surface on the bottom of the oven?

The self-clean cycle of a self-cleaning oven is
hotter than any cooking routine: so you may
have brazed the foil permanently to the enamel.
There was a reason why your oven's instructions
recommended against the use of alum. foil as
a liner on the enameled metal.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house
S R S R is offline

I would just leave it. It happened to our oven. In the supermarket, I
found thin aluminum liners that are made for ovens. No more problems since
we switched to the thin liners.

Stephen R.

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Don Phillipson" writes:

Where the grease hit the foil, it burned and the foil stuck to the
bottom of the oven. I removed what I could of the foil, but there are
several patches of stuck, burned-on foil. We tried running a
self-clean cycle, but that did not burn off the stuck foil.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the burned-on foil without
damaging the enamel surface on the bottom of the oven?

The self-clean cycle of a self-cleaning oven is hotter than any
cooking routine: so you may have brazed the foil permanently to the
enamel. There was a reason why your oven's instructions recommended
against the use of alum. foil as a liner on the enameled metal.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct. I don't know whether our
oven's instructions included such a recommendation, but by the time I
saw what was going on, it was too late to do anything about it.

I would have thought that the self-cleaning cycle would get hot enough
to burn off the aluminum. I've seen aluminum burn on my charcoal
grill. I suppose that the self-clean cycle just doesn't get as hot as
a charcoal grill.

Thanks for the response, Don.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Chair, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thomas Cormen wrote:
My wife made some popovers this morning. In the past, she had trouble
with the popovers leaving pools of grease on the bottom of the oven,
so she decided to cover the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil.
Where the grease hit the foil, it burned and the foil stuck to the
bottom of the oven. I removed what I could of the foil, but there are
several patches of stuck, burned-on foil. We tried running a
self-clean cycle, but that did not burn off the stuck foil.

Any suggestions as to how to remove the burned-on foil without
damaging the enamel surface on the bottom of the oven?

--THC

Caustic attacks aluminum. Common OTC consumer "Oven Cleaner"
contains caustic and is "not supposed" to damage enamel (porcelain ??)
oven surfaces. (Read the directions carefully)

Jason