Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders eganders is offline

Default edge straightening jig

On Oct 15, 8:11 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
eganders (in . com)
said:

| I am going to build a jig to hold a board so that a straight edge
| can be put on one edge of the board by passing the board clamped to
| the jig across a tablesaw. Here is the approach I plan to use:
|
|http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ighteningjig.j
pg

| Basically, I want to hold the board with as short a jig as possible.
| Right now it is 8 ft long. I want to put a straight edge on boards
| up to 8 ft long, but I don't think I need an 8ft jig. Just would
| like any suggestions for modifying what I have so far.

You can follow the link in my sig to see the jig I built. I think mine
is longer than necessary, since I can always use a longer straight
board against my saw's fence to guide the jig.

I don't think your track for clamps will be useful. So long as the
clamps hold your workpiece firmly, they can be fairly close together.
I haven't regretted just screwing them to the jig.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Well, I'll be darned if yours does not look exactly like mine. I think
I like the handle you have, but I wonder if I should also put on a
second handle to help me keep it to the fence. I'll report back after
I have had some experience as to how I like it. Here is what it looks
like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...trimmer001.jpg