Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Scott Scott is offline

Default insulating steel garage door - two options

Later wrote:
On 14 Oct 2006 19:30:35 -0700, wrote:

Went to the local home improvement store to investigate possible
approaches to insulate my steel garage door. One option is a sort of
buble wrap stuff with foil on both sides, that's supposed to be a very
good reflective barrier. The other option is poly-foam of varying
thickness.

I live in southwest ohio, where dec-feb have mostly sub-freezing days,
and the coldest days can get down to single digits or below zero... in
summer, weeks of 90s are normal.

My garage door is souther facing.

My question is this: foil, foam, or some combination of the two? And,
if you recommend a combination, which one against the steel door, which
exposed to the open space of the garage?

Just curious, why do you want to do this?

It's an attached garage, and I was hoping to improve the energy
efficiency of my home somewhat. Also, I am interested in keeping it a
bit warmer in the winter in there, as I often work out in the garage on
different small projects. I don't expect it to be balmy in there, but
if by spending what appears to be less than $100, I can achieve some
level of energy efficiency, and raise the garage temp a few degrees in
the winter, I think it would be worthwhile.

So, back to my original question, foil or foam?