Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stuck drain cock

hzatph wrote:
Sounds like you need something like a water key but with a smaller end bit
.

That sounds like it - it is bigger than for a radiator bleed key.

...I was wondering if you can get a socket on to it,maybe a double hexagon
one
would fit and use an extension or more likely two extensions .Do you or
neighbour or friend,relative have an socket set .Car mechanics or folk who
do
their own car maintenance have them usually .

Stuart .

Tried a socket set - could not find one that gripped - they were either too
small or too loose.

A small adjustable may work - will ask around the neighbours. If I can get a
grip in the confined space I am fairly sure that I could get some leverage
on it.

Also a small mole grip. No "Stilsons"..that's what I meant. The ones
that lock on tighter the harder you push..can even be hammered round..or
fitted with a bit of pipe to increase leverage.

These do bugger stuff, but I've snapped steel bolts with them that
wouldn't turn...they can do the torque all right.

You would probably ant a new bit afterwards though..unless its one of
those 'thats it for the next 5 years, and sod the next guy who has to
fix it'...which was roughly the attitude we had in keeping old bangers
going.

You MAY need to consider draining what you can and using a blowlamp and
WD40 on the ******* thing. Or in extremis, fitting a new one.

If the cost in hassle, skinned knuckles and time of all the stuck bolts
on my cars were totted up, it wold have paid for new parts several times
over.

The idea of handles from other fittings is interesting. Will have a look as
a couple of ideas come to mind.

Please keep the ideas flowing.