Posted to rec.woodworking
Shawn Wilson Shawn Wilson is offline

Default working with 4x4/guillotine

I'm making a guillotine out of 4x4 spruce. It's base is 8x4. The 2
uprights are 10' high and have 2 horizontal braces/spacers 13" from the
ground and about 8" from the top. I'm using all half-lap joints (I think
that's what they're called) and will connect them with 3/8" carriage bolts.
So far all angles have been 90 degrees, but I want to put in 45 degree
supports where the base meets the uprights, and also where the horizontal
spacers meet the uprights. I had planned on a butt-joint (not sure if you
still call it that if it's 45 degrees), with 3/8" threaded rod to connect
it, but my concern is that this will have some flex and sort of slip and
slide as I'm trying to drill through it. I was wondering if there's a
better way to keep these supports from moving. I thought of routing out a
notch in the upright and base to accept the support, but I'm concerned it
might be too difficult getting the angles right. My woodworking skills are
a little limited. I have a mitre saw, skil saw (which I've been using to
cut and "route" the lap joints), $99 table saw (so pushing 10' sections of
4x4 through it is out ;o) ), router, hand saws.

TIA,
Shawn

--
Shawn Wilson