Posted to rec.woodworking

Default working with 4x4/guillotine

I'm making a guillotine out of 4x4 spruce. It's base is 8x4. The 2
uprights are 10' high and have 2 horizontal braces/spacers 13" from the
ground and about 8" from the top. I'm using all half-lap joints (I think
that's what they're called) and will connect them with 3/8" carriage bolts.
So far all angles have been 90 degrees, but I want to put in 45 degree
supports where the base meets the uprights, and also where the horizontal
spacers meet the uprights. I had planned on a butt-joint (not sure if you
still call it that if it's 45 degrees), with 3/8" threaded rod to connect
it, but my concern is that this will have some flex and sort of slip and
slide as I'm trying to drill through it. I was wondering if there's a
better way to keep these supports from moving. I thought of routing out a
notch in the upright and base to accept the support, but I'm concerned it
might be too difficult getting the angles right. My woodworking skills are
a little limited. I have a mitre saw, skil saw (which I've been using to
cut and "route" the lap joints), $99 table saw (so pushing 10' sections of
4x4 through it is out ;o) ), router, hand saws.

TIA,
Shawn

--
Shawn Wilson
www.GlassGiant.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Maybe you can temporarily hold the two pieces in position with some
screws? Is this a halloween prop, or are you in the CIA?

MB

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article CPwYg.23042$H7.18685@edtnps82,
Shawn Wilson wrote:
I'm making a guillotine out of 4x4 spruce.

...details of construction and concerns snipped...

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the tester isn't going to be
complaining....
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:26:10 GMT, "Shawn Wilson"
wrote:

[...]

A Real guillotine, or a prop??

Sounds like fun, either way. If you're concerned about those braces
slipping when you're drilling, you could take a couple of scrap 2x4s
and use your miter saw to cut them at 45* (so that when you look at
the narrow edge, you see the 45). Take those pieces and temporarily
nail them in place to hold the braces where you want them, drill, then
remove (or make them part of the design and leave them in place.

I'll try to show this below, hopefully it comes through ok.

| |
| | (Side view)
| |
| |