Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Multimeter

On 2006-10-15 14:42:15 +0100, Huge said:

My digital multimeter's just given up the ghost.

Any suggestions as to a replacement? I don't need a golly-gee-whizz
one with dB scales and transistor testers, but I'd like a large
display (so I can see it when I'm hanging out of the ceiling) and
it's got to be reasonably robust.

What do you want to spend?

Rather more than HDV's GBP3.99. Say fifty quid. The old one was
GBP70 and lasted about 15 years.

There are some very good Fluke ones which have good large displays and
are very solid, around £100. The leads and case etc. are substantial
as well, which is something that I think is important.

Ditto. I had a cheapo one as well, but every time I used it, I ended
up repairing the leads, which drove me bonkers.

Fluke was the brand that sprang to mind.

I bought mine in the U.S. some years ago and remember that the price
difference was even more than the usual pound/dollar unity thing.

Considering the current exchange rate and your connections in the U.S.
it might be worth taking a look at that. Even with shipping costs it
might be worth it.