Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multimeter

On 2006-10-15 14:42:15 +0100, Huge said:

My digital multimeter's just given up the ghost.

Any suggestions as to a replacement? I don't need a golly-gee-whizz
one with dB scales and transistor testers, but I'd like a large
display (so I can see it when I'm hanging out of the ceiling) and
it's got to be reasonably robust.

What do you want to spend?

There are some very good Fluke ones which have good large displays and
are very solid, around £100. The leads and case etc. are substantial
as well, which is something that I think is important.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
There are some very good Fluke ones which have good large displays and
are very solid, around £100. The leads and case etc. are substantial
as well, which is something that I think is important.

Likely to be cries of 'elitist' again over high priced tools, but a Fluke
is just so delightful to hold as well as use. Just be careful not to blow
its internal fuse. ;-)

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
There are some very good Fluke ones which have good large displays and
are very solid, around £100. The leads and case etc. are substantial
as well, which is something that I think is important.

If you are willing to take the normal Ebay risks

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...og=1&frpp=25&f
rom=R10&satitle=fluke&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=Postcode&ga10
244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1 &sass=papko&fsop=1%26fs
oo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=se arch&fgtp=

or to put it another way

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A52C218FD

This guy has some good reliable kit and I've never had any problems with
him.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-15 14:42:15 +0100, Huge said:

My digital multimeter's just given up the ghost.

Any suggestions as to a replacement? I don't need a golly-gee-whizz
one with dB scales and transistor testers, but I'd like a large
display (so I can see it when I'm hanging out of the ceiling) and
it's got to be reasonably robust.

What do you want to spend?

There are some very good Fluke ones which have good large displays and are
very solid, around £100. The leads and case etc. are substantial as
well, which is something that I think is important.

May I suggest the 34XR Meterman, and take a look at
http://us.fluke.com/usen/Home/Search...ox=DMM+safety# before
buying any meter....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-15 14:42:15 +0100, Huge said:

My digital multimeter's just given up the ghost.

Any suggestions as to a replacement? I don't need a golly-gee-whizz
one with dB scales and transistor testers, but I'd like a large
display (so I can see it when I'm hanging out of the ceiling) and
it's got to be reasonably robust.

What do you want to spend?

Rather more than HDV's GBP3.99. Say fifty quid. The old one was
GBP70 and lasted about 15 years.

There are some very good Fluke ones which have good large displays and
are very solid, around £100. The leads and case etc. are substantial
as well, which is something that I think is important.

Ditto. I had a cheapo one as well, but every time I used it, I ended
up repairing the leads, which drove me bonkers.

Fluke was the brand that sprang to mind.

I bought mine in the U.S. some years ago and remember that the price
difference was even more than the usual pound/dollar unity thing.

Considering the current exchange rate and your connections in the U.S.
it might be worth taking a look at that. Even with shipping costs it
might be worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-15 18:03:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
There are some very good Fluke ones which have good large displays and
are very solid, around £100. The leads and case etc. are substantial
as well, which is something that I think is important.

Likely to be cries of 'elitist' again over high priced tools,

I don't care about that.... :-)

but a Fluke
is just so delightful to hold as well as use. Just be careful not to blow
its internal fuse. ;-)

The other thing is the range of accessories. I have the current probe
and also a thermocouple adaptor which plugs into the top - great for
checking radiator temperatures with a contact thermocuple probe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Likely to be cries of 'elitist' again over high priced tools, but a Fluke
is just so delightful to hold as well as use. Just be careful not to blow
its internal fuse. ;-)

Seconded. Use one at work. Excellent

Dave