Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default insulating steel garage door - two options

wrote:
Went to the local home improvement store to investigate possible
approaches to insulate my steel garage door. One option is a sort of
buble wrap stuff with foil on both sides, that's supposed to be a very
good reflective barrier. The other option is poly-foam of varying
thickness.

I live in southwest ohio, where dec-feb have mostly sub-freezing days,
and the coldest days can get down to single digits or below zero... in
summer, weeks of 90s are normal.

My garage door is souther facing.

My question is this: foil, foam, or some combination of the two? And,
if you recommend a combination, which one against the steel door,
which exposed to the open space of the garage?

I agree with Rick. Why do you want to insulate the door? You are not
going to suddenly make the garage a lot warmer. While I do have insulated
doors, and I would replace them with insulated doors, I also have insulated
walls and the garage has heated areas on two sides and above. It does not
stay warm, but it is a little warmer than it would be otherwise. But just
doors will not do much. If the garage is not attached to a heated area or
does not have some form of heat itself, insulating the doors is going to do
very very little.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit