Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DGG DGG is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

George said:

"DGG" wrote in message
.. .
SNIP
And if the bowl were much deeper, it would be less
useful. I would have preferred two interior curls, one large, one
small, as I still use a straight rest on the exterior, but that's my
preference.

They make a sturdy extension if you want to drop the cash. Lots more reach
available than most would feel comfortable with, but necessary on my old
Delta to reach around a bowl. You're right, though, no need for an
"exterior" curve. Straight rest can be brought in easily for average close.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Anch=imgAnch27

Here's the rest I have, and I love it.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=108-0200

Thanks, that is pretty cool. I like the dual mounting hole idea.

Knew about the Sorby rests, but their 9" bowl rest is also too small.
Works fine on a Jet 1016 Mini, but it's a toy on this larger lathe.

Bought the "French Curl" rest because it was local, cheap, and there
was a bowl on the lathe I couldn't seem to finish without. But it was
still a bit shy reaching the bottom.

It's one of those maddening things that makes you want to take up
blacksmithing. Another is the tool rest base. The blasted rough-ass
casting is so tall, that it won't even clear a 12" bowl on a 16" swing
lathe, and is one of the most recalcitrant things I've used. I'm
working on a fix for the "takes two hands to move it" problem.

Now with some steel, a welder, lathe, boring setup, and some time...