Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

Default Oak or ash band saw curves more easily?

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Tim wrote:

I have, and have tried to use, a Rigid oscillating drum sander
(actually my shaft is bent (yeah, it hurts...) and I can't get the
belt sander off, but its still about the same thing) but I can't
get a smooth surface on it. Either peaks are left, or valley are
sanded in.
I was kinda hoping the template guide would make all well.

You want a uniform thickness, no? Make/use a gizmo like you would on
the bandsaw for maintaining a uniform thickness when cutting curves.
Like a fence but only one point of contact...perpendicular to what a
fence would normally be and with a rounded edge...

Yes, that would help keep a steady feed.
I am going to try two other things though...
I am taking a bowl turning class on Mondays. They have a 20" saw. That
might make all the difference in getting a smooth cut; we'll see.
I also found the roboSand (drum sander w/guide) at Woodworker's Supply.
Between the two, I ought to get it. If I can't, there is always stamp
collecting.