Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Oak or ash band saw curves more easily?

"Tim" wrote in message

Well, actually what seems to happen is that every now and then it binds on
the curve and leaves a mark that is hard to get out. If I had more power

expect it wouldn't bind like that; but since that's not an option... I

was
actually going to try it with a 1/4" blade thinking it would be less

likely
to bind.

My experience is just the opposite, but I do have a well tuned, 14" bandsaw,
and use an excellent quality resaw blade for this purpose.

Yeah, but my pattern bit is 2" and the rail is 2.5". I thought about
having it way out of the collet for the first pass, but that doesn't seem
particularly safe. I also thought about reducing the rail to 2".

That is exactly why I intially designed my crest rail to be 2", instead of
the 2 1/4" that is on the original chair I was reproducing.

Designing the project around the capability of your tools is a time honored
path to sucess in woodworking, and is something that should paid more
attention to, IMO.

As it turned out, using a ROS to "fair the curve" and sand out the marks was
so easy during the prototype stage on this last chair project, that I went
back to the original dimension.

Someone above suggested a drum sander with a template, but the only place
that seems to have 3" drums like that is Woodcraft, and they are out of
stock for weeks.

While I do have a large oscillating drum sander, I didn't use it because the
ROS, with the proper technique, was so much faster.

If you don't try things you don't know how to do, you don't learn

anything!
Or so I tell myself.

That's true ... but the more time spend thinking/planning/jigging up insures
me a higher rate of success, and is why I "prototype" these days when I
venture into new territory, whether it be in the realm of joinery, or
design.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06