Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Buried Electrical connections

Alan Holmes wrote:

However it *is* acceptable to burry a joint if it is done correctly. Vis:

Wire joint is made using crimped, welded, or soldered construction
Each wire is individually protected with suitable material (i.e.
heatshrink sleaving)
The overall sheath is also covered with heatshrink

I would be horrified if someone did that in a house I lived in.

Needlessly, but your perogative obviously.

Either do the job properly or don't do it.

I have described the correct way to joint a cable that is to be
plastered over. Better not to joint it if avoidable, but if you need to,
then that is a regs approved way of doing it.

Would you expect a professional electrician to install a cable like that?

For a repair or extension to exiting wiring, then yes, that is how I
would expect a concealed joint to be made.

If it were a rewire from scratch then there would be no need for joints
of this type.

--
Cheers,

John.