Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Buried Electrical connections

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:

But you now have a shortcircuit and damaged wiring, as it is not
installed in conduit it means that the wire has now to be pulled out of
the wall and replaced.

Take your pick:

Cut out section of plaster round damaged wire, cut out and replace damaged
section by crimping in new bit of wire, test, and make good.

I would not like to take the risk of crimping mains cable, I would use a
proper juction box.

or

Move furniture, lift carpets, lift floor, disconnect wiring at accessory,
attempt to pull old cable from conduit, while pulling through new wire,
reterminate at accessory. test, relay floor, carpet, shift furniture.

Which would not be neccessary if the cable had continuos and been installed
in conduit as there would not have been the risk of a short circuit.

I can do the first one in 20 mins flat. How long would the second one
take?

Failing that, save youself the effort by observing the cable zones and
getting a cable detector.

Conduit is great if used for its intended purpose i.e. wired with singles
and not cable. However it is a right PITA to work with when you start
trying to stick T&E down it.

Stuff deleted:-

Firstly have you stopped to think how the vast majority of houses are
wired? The answer is with cables buried in the plaster. How do you think
your house is wired?

All in conduit.

Nothing wrong with having conduit, but that is not the way it is done in
the vast majority of places, and certainly not a requirement.

The normal way of installing conduit is to cut a trough in the wall deep
enough to take the conduit and then plastered over.

Try that on a lath and plaster wall.

It would not be neccessary on a lathe and plaster wall as the cable could be
suspended in the gap between the sides.

Alan