Posted to rec.woodworking

Default edge straightening jig

I guess I don't fully understand. I have a few questions.

1. Will this jig have something on the bottom to lay into the slot in
the table saw top? If not then I guess you just ride this against the
fence. So what is better than just ripping the lumber against the fence
and no jig?

2. If it does have soemthing to lay in the slot, I guess it is set to a
fixed width from the balde and this jig will only cut one width of
material. If so, make sure to make the jig base wider than needed and
cut it on the tablesaw so the supported actual board you want to cut
has some support underneath as a zero clearance to keep from blow out
on the bottom. The outlying cutoff will be unsupported and after a few
feet it will start to sag down and if it is very wide will possibly
cause some pinch on the balde. Watch out of kick back then.

I guess i am just an old hack but I rip 8ft lumber all the time. I can
usually get it strainght enough for a glue joint but if not it's clean
up in the jointer or do a skim rip as a second pass.

BW
eganders wrote:
I am going to build a jig to hold a board so that a straight edge can
be put on one edge of the board by passing the board clamped to the jig
across a tablesaw. Here is the approach I plan to use:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hteningjig.jpg

Basically, I want to hold the board with as short a jig as possible.
Right now it is 8 ft long. I want to put a straight edge on boards up
to 8 ft long, but I don't think I need an 8ft jig. Just would like any
suggestions for modifying what I have so far.

Ideas anyone?