Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How interchangeable are DIN rail MCBs.

In article ,
Andy Wade writes:
Matt wrote:

MK even have two incompatible busbar systems - old and new.

Three, actually:

(i) the original type with U-slotted fingers for Siemens MCBs;

(ii) single finger type when they changed to Merlin Gerin components c.
1992 - this type had a wider finger for the incomer connection and
finger bent over at 90 deg. from the bar;

(iii) the current K type, flat with all fingers the same and generally a
bit thinner and cheaper-feeling.

Whilst I generally rate MK accessories very highly, I have never
had the same high regard for their CU's -- they've been just "OK"
by my rating. Their current design of domestic plastic CU's is
definately a much cheaper-feeling product than the previous ones
with the clear plastic access door. I have bought the occasional
one to use as a DIN rail enclosure, but not as a CU. I suspect
the issue with their CU range is that they don't make much/any of
it, but feel they have to have CU's in their product range or it
would be incomplete. Dependance on others is probably why they've
run though a number of different styles.

For the last couple of domestic CU's I've fitted, I have chosen
commercial grade CU's which are just so much better made and more
amply sized, it's a real pleasure to work with them. I've used the
MEM (now call Eaton) Memshield2 range. This will cost you more
than a domestic plastic CU, but as I do DIY to get a better quality
result, I don't mind paying for quality.

--
Andrew Gabriel