Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default spot weed killer?

z wrote:
Ether Jones wrote:

http://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm

The efficacy of this type of tool is a strong function of the soil
type. The tool is not usable in heavy clay soil in dry weather. Voice
of experience.

Well, my dirt turns to adobe when it's dry, and I can still rip up a
plug with this thing without much trouble. It's got a footpeg where you
can stomp on it if just pushing down the handle isn't enough. It works
a little better when the soil is wet, though, just because if the big
old dandelion roots take a jog sideways instead of down and extend out
of the plug, when it's wet they will often still slide out intact when
you pull the thing up, but when it's dry they break off and could still
resprout. So next time you repeat.

Where the thing doesn't work at all is where the dandelion has sprouted
right over top of a root or big rock so you can't plunge the thing to
full depth. The way it's articulated, the nails go in straight down
then when they're full length the tips close in to make an upside cone
that pulls up; so if you can't plunge it down full length you can't
pull up a plug.

Like I said, voice of experience. I have one of these. It is unusable
in my yard in dry weather. The heavy clay soil is like brick when dry.