Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default System Three Sculpwood vs. Abatron WoodEpox

Lew Hodgett writes:
blueman wrote:
Any thoughts on pros/cons of System3 Sculpwood vs. Abatron WoodEpox
for the following uses:
1. Filling holes/gouges and other defects in wood
2. Replacing rotten wood in exterior windows and trim

They both seem rather expensive, so I figured that I might as well get
input from others who have tried both.

Don't have a clue about the above, but it can't be much more than
epoxy thickened with micro-balloons.

I have been using System Three and it is a lot better than homemade
stuff mixing epoxy with sawdust. The components are non-sticky and are
kneaded together. Very easy to work and mold -- also the cured
consistency is easy to work, including sanding, drilling, etc.

I haven't used Abatron, but was interested in knowing whether it is
better, worse, or just different before I start buying quantity of
either one.

SFWIW, I make my own.

If you dig out rotted wood and patch it back with epoxy, then fair it
out when cured, you have basically boat fairing compound hanging onto
a hunk of wood that is probably going to continue to rot anyway.

Depending on how large the repair is, it may be more effective to
replace the rotted piece completely.

You will need to paint it over on exterior applications to provide UV
protection.

Have fun.

Lew